How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118132
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a contract with my H1 employer. I would like to

Customer Question

I have a contract with my H1 employer. I would like to change my employer since I am not happy with the way they have been dealing with me. When I told them about my intent to leave, they threatened me with legal action as per the contract. Can you help, and what would it cost to deal with this issue
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Employment Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: My contract was in NJ and I am currently working in IL. Would the employment lawyer need my contract too. How does the payment of $5 work?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: In the contract it mentions it is at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My employment contract has post employment restrictions. It also has restrictions on post employment competition
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Pursuant to the terms of service for this site the Attorneys are not permitted to enter into Attorney/Client relationships with customers of the site. That being said we can do everything on our power to assist you in getting headed in the right direction and receiving the assistance you need. Can you tell me where are located so I can provide a link for Attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations?

Non compete restrictions are common. They just need to be reasonable. What are the other restrictions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract was signed in NJ and am currently working on a assignment in IL. Restrictions per the contract are:
Restrictions on Post employment competition. Mentions that since the company has invested in developing contacts they have expectations of considerable return from my services and I can therefore not leave their employment and join their clients.
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
Is the part about not leaving their employment and joing clients in the same sentence? You are not an indentured servant so you have to be able to terminate the employment
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for you to attach the contract?

When contract terms are unreasonable and an employee wants to terminate the employment agreement it is best to have a local attorney assist you. Many provide FREE consultations and can evaluate the situation very quickly. You stated you are in Illinois, can you tell me where the company is located in New Jersey?

Please do not hesitate to ask me additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my time and work I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor has had to leave.
Can you provide the contract to us so we can inform you of whether or not you can leave without violating that contract?
What are your other questions for us?