Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

On sept 8, 16 i was terminated from employment for the

Customer Question
reason for been under the...
On sept 8, 16 i was terminated from employment for the reason for been under the influence of marijuana and i was not given any type of drug test that shows i was positive for any substance, and instead of giving me the opportunity to prove my innocence that i was not impaired from any type of substance they just told me that i was been terminated and to go home, does that give them the right to terminate me and lose my job
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/12/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the manager who terminated you had an ulterior motive in terminating you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?

Tina, Lawyer