Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been working for a company for 9 years and we

Customer Question
I have been working...
I have been working for a company for 9 years and we recently acquired a large company. In the past year I feel like they are trying to push me out. I have had two surgeries in the last year, am 59, and am making a large salary. Do I have any rights a "right to work" state?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/11/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

How are they "trying to push you out"? Has any mention been made of your age or disabilities?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There have taken all the work that I am qualified for and given it to others. Some of the staff have commented on my disabilities but not management. I was given an improvement, which .they were careful to say was not an improvement plan (even though said areas to improve. The plan had some items that mentioned specifics, but others did not give examples. One of the items contained examples that were not true.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is happening to a lot of people who have the highest salaries and don't want to relocate. I am afraid I may be fired and don't want to loose my flight benefits (which is all the retirement you get)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is also taking a toll on me as I have been prescribed meds for anxiety. I have
done some good work with the old company, won awards, always got a great raise. This last time I got nothing. Was told that I was at the bottom of my peers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was after no raise

There is long held supreme court precedent that employees may be legally terminated for having a higher raise- the logic being that not only older persons have higher wages. You'd thus need more evidence of age discrimination to make any type of case here - such as ageist comments, memos, emails etc. If you are not aware of such evidence, but think it may be there, you may want to contact the EEOC and file a complaint in any event to determine if the EEOC investigator can uncover such evidence.

John, Employment Lawyer