Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked for a company and supervised contractors. The

Customer Question
I worked for a company...
I worked for a company and supervised contractors. The company fired me recently and i want to go work for one of my contractors. The company sent me a Separation Agreement that will pay me 4 weeks salary and a small fee for separation if i sign it. It has a non-solicitation clause in it.
Could that prevent me from working for the contractor?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/8/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

A non-solicitation clause would not, no. Non-solicitation clauses stop you from contacting their clients or employees, in an attempt to take them away from the company. If you have already been in contact with that contractor, and the contractor is pursuing you, then you aren't going to be soliciting them after you've signed the document.

A non-compete agreement could potentially stop you, but only if your former employer did the same work for the contractors that you'd be doing. It doesn't seem though that you have a non-compete, just the non-solicitation.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer