How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2166
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas and have health insurance through my

Customer Question

I live in Texas and have health insurance through my employer, a nation wide company. My biological child has lived outside of the US since he was born. My son is now 4. He will arrive in the US on September 26, 2016. I asked my employer to add him to my health plan but they informed me it couldn't happen until January 2017. Does my employer have the right to temporarily delay adding my son to the health plan?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes, unfortunately they can allow that as their enrollment period is probably in January. Only if you had a court order requiring them to add your son would they have to adjust their policy.