Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I provide services for MRDD individuals in Toledo Ohio. One

Customer Question

I provide services for MRDD individuals in Toledo Ohio. One of my employees, which happen to be my daughter was accused of neglect. Another employee video recorded her while they were on the van transporting the individuals to workshop. The video showed her letting the individual know that he would get his cigarettes as soon as they got to workshop. The individual made a spit noise and my daughter made a spit noise back. Clearly no one actually spit. My point is this employee has several recordings of my daughter talking on her phone etc... The employee reported this incident to Lucas county board of developmental disabilities 20 days later. There is now an open investigation against my company as well as my daughter. The County Major incident investigators keep reiterating the fact that the employee is my daughter. They interrogated her and are requesting that I bring her personnel records for them to review. Should I retain an attorney? I'm starting to feel as though I'm being harassed because she's my daughter.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you should not engage the investigators without an attorney when they have an open alleged abuse investigation. Even if your daughter did nothing wrong and the video proves she did nothing wrong, if you say the wrong thing thinking it is innocent or helping the case it could be twisted or misinterpreted against you. Having an attorney as a go between also stops them from continuing to harass you directly, as all communications have to go through the attorney and they can craft your responses so they are clear and so they are not misinterpreted by the investigators. These abuse investigations are taken seriously by the investigators, even if they may seem to you to be baseless, so you need to make sure your company and your daughter are properly protected as they can lead to criminal charges.