How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19116
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been employed by the State of Indiana for just over

Customer Question

I have been employed by the State of Indiana for just over two years. I called a meeting with my supervisor and her coordinator because I was getting in trouble by the coordinator. The supervisor is only in the office once a week and listens only to what the coordinator tells her. Now, I have been written up so to speak and I feel that I am being bullied and discriminated against because of my age. I am 66 y/o. The supervisor says I may have a hearing problem and is asking me to see a doctor and to get a form which HR gave me to have the doctor sign. My integrity as a worker has been questioned. I want to do the right thing. My friend who works in HR says, GET A LAWYER. But my funds are tight. Pls advise. Christine
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in the state of Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not. My supervisor sent me a performance review and has told me to read it, sign it and put on her desk in a folder. Part of the meeting was due to the fact that I am a diabetic. The supervisor came in and said, why do you have a coke on your desk? You are diabetic! My blood sugar was low, hence the coke. The supervisor is very demeaning in her manner to me. I have no college degree but I am a hard worker, know my stuff, etc. I am so physically stressed out that I have had diarrhea all weekend. Maybe you didn't need to know that....sorry...c
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I believe the write up is in retaliation. I had tried to contact my supervisor to talk to her but she is unavailable a lot. I went over her head to discuss with the director and I guess that was a no no. Now it feels like I am being punished. I am a good secretary. C
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you think that you are being discriminated against because of your age, you should file complaint with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") and let the agency investigate your claim. Once you file the claim, the state government agency would be notified and if the state government agency retaliates against you for filing the complaint, you should contact EEOC again to amend your complaint and add retaliation to it. Click here for the complaint process.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.