Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked at Nellis AFB as a contract nurse running the

Customer Question
dysplasia program in Women's Health...
I worked at Nellis AFB as a contract nurse running the dysplasia program in Women's Health. My first two weeks of training, my Computer Access card didn't work, the third week the Dysplasia Tracker was down. Then I had to go off by myself to do the work. I had to transcribe tons of labs by hand. I also had to schedule pt appt's and surgeries. I was never trained on that system, so had to train myself. because of this, I had a lot of anxiety and made a few transcription errors due to my untrained eye. I did develope a tool to help myself and then was error free. After 6 months, I was asked to take a job on the OB/GYN side of the clinic as my agency had hired a new nurse with no experience in either field. I told them I had no clinic experience in that area but I did have 25 years of hospital experience in OB. The new nurse came in June, I trained her and then started training on my new job. From day one, my nurse trainer was scowling at me, belittling in front of our admin people, she went to management and complained that I was confused as to how to use Alta notes, she did them in a much different way than I had been trained. She chatted frequently with the young admin people and arranged for personal get togethers after work, she never once ever said a word to me that wasn't related to training or a patient. She bit my head off several times in front of people. She made it difficult for me to learn and to anything right, I was so depressed and anxious around her. Then two weeks ago on a Tuesday, she came to work late, as usual, left for an hour at lunch, spent an hour chatting with another nurse, then grabbed her things and left at 430 and asked me to stay over and finish the work knowing I would not be paid to do that. I refused. By Friday her attitude got even worse towards me. She started yelling at me while I was on the phone with a patient because a physician had instructed me to book an appointment for her, I offering to get in on Monday morning and Kristy wasn't happy with that. She continued to yell and belittle me after I got off the phone. It was so bad that I had to leave the unit for awhile to calm down. I know she talked to other employees behind my back, including another nurse who had also asked me to stay late without pay one day. I would have gone to management after that, Maj Franklinn was already gone, but Monday Kristy was acting really nice and Maj Franklin's son had surgery so she was gone for a few days. Then Kristy got sick, she had to call in an I wasn't feeling well by the end of the week. The next Monday she was back to sneering at me, one of the programs we used wasn't working for me so I went to an old fashioned wheel to check gestational dates and it happened to be inaccurate, which I had no way of knowing. Tuesday I presented a class by myself, Kristy was really late, and instead of telling me good job, she chastised me for ending exactly on time. Wednesday I was fired. I had not ever been given an official counseling statement, I had no communication with the head nurse or our govt contracting source, Loyal Source, prior to that. I put in a lot of hours of overtime on the Dysplasia side because the nurse who had the job before me was fired for falling behind, I had my admin help taken away and there was no other way to get the job done. I realise I am rambling, it is hard to type in this little space and I am really upset. Do I have a legal case for EEOC or any other type?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am 57. Kristy always chatted up the young gals who were our admin people. There were two LPN's in another office. She was friendly to one of them, the LPM in her 60's felt slighted by her. Kristy has an L4-L5 nerve injury in her back, they want to do surgery. I think she is in pain a lot and doesn't sleep well, she came to work daily looking dog tired and her husband is deployed in Afghanistan, so her attitude I think is affected by that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/26/2016
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the lengthy set of facts and your question. Can you tell me if you were still a probationary employee when you were terminated? Are you saying that your supervisor treated all nurses over 40 poorly? Did she ever say anything negative about workers over 40? What makes you believe you should have received a written warning prior to termination? Was there a written policy that said you were entitled to one? Finally, what was the stated reason for your termination?

Tina, Lawyer