Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

We have an insurance agency and need to have a no cell phone

Customer Question
policy. Phones are to be...
We have an insurance agency and need to have a no cell phone policy. Phones are to be put away except for breaks and personal time(lunch). We currently have 2 employees along with my husband and myself We have an employee who wants to keep her cell on her desk so she can watch her texts, she also uses an earbud connected to her phone and in her ear so she can "listen to her music". She sits at the front desk and greets people when they come in and answers the office phone. This seems to be a common problem with other employers but it causes frustration and I feel like employees can text and talk on phone on their time not mine. She is a single parent. If an emergency arises her child, family or school can call the office phone. A previous employee we had would take the phone with him to bathroom several times a day. Please give me suggestions on resolving the issue. Can we have a written, documented policy that they can sign to acknowledge they are aware of rule? If so can you provide a sample I can use?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/25/2016
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

You absolutely can have a written policy where you put down specific terms and policies that employees must sign and that can be added to an employee handbook or something that new employees sign when hired, and which makes clear what the consequences for violating the policy are.

This isn't a perfect policy, but you can start with something like this and just modify it as you see fit (e.g., if you don't have company cell phones, remove that language). Another policy can be seen here.

You can find some good tips on what makes a good employee policy regarding cell phone use here.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unable to open first example "something like this"

I'm so sorry! Try here:

https://resources.workable.com/cell-phone-company-policy

Employment Lawyer: hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources replied 1 year ago
hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I would be happy to write up a sample for you but it would be a small additional charge. (I can have it to you within the hour)

I will send over the pricing for the additional charge.

Thank you,

Amber

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thx. I'll figure one out.

Good afternoon, original expert here. I'm not quite sure why the other expert felt the need to comment. While ethically I cannot prepare the document for you as you are not a client, I am happy to review anything that you might prepare and give you my opinion and suggestions.

Happy to provide clarification or additional information if you need it, just let me know.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer