Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work in maine and i constantly get over 40 hours a week

Customer Question
but im still considered a...
I work in maine and i constantly get over 40 hours a week but im still considered a part time employ what should i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/25/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that under state and federal law, there is no legal designation of full time or part time employee. Under the law, it says the employer only has to pay the employee for all hours worked and time and one half for all hours worked over 40 in a regular work week. So, as an at will employee, as long as the employer is paying you for hours worked as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act, even if they consider you part time, they can make you work 40 hours or more if they need you to work and they are not violating any laws.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney