Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was offered a position with the state of Colorado then the

Customer Question
offer was rescinded because of...
I was offered a position with the state of Colorado then the offer was rescinded because of a family member working in the same division. I am just wondering if I have an legal support to pursue this really great job.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/23/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, you would not have any legal route to pursue this. Fear of nepotism is a recognized concern in employment law. They don't have to be able to prove that having a family member in the same unit WOULD assist you, just that it could, and to prove that all they have to show is that you have a family member in that same division and that is sufficient.

Refusing to hire those within the same family into the same division is not illegal or prohibited by any statute and, in fast, in most government situations it is actually mandatory that they do not.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer