Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was facing a harassment compliant from an employee. I was

Customer Question
going through depression as a...
I was facing a harassment compliant from an employee. I was going through depression as a result of dealing with another co-worker's (and cohabitant) mood swings, which would push me to the limit. I tried to warn management about these problems with my co-worker/co-habitant, yet they did little to structure the work shift so as to help separate us. They did not seem to get what I was telling them. I then decided to deal with this through depressive outbursts, which in a certain case offended another co-worker. This was the co-worker who filed the harassment complaint. The management pulled me into a room and started questioning me, stating that the third party co-worker filed a harassment complaint and there were "concerns about my behavior". I explained the same things I had already mentioned to them concerning my co-worker/co-habitant. The conversation eventually led to my military reservist status, and they wanted to know if I had a "military doctor". I said I will not share any information about my military medical records with them, as they are not doctors (I was also concerned that they would try to mention these events going on with my civilian employer to my military chain of command) The manager then said that this constituted a refusal to cooperate with their harassment investigation, and if I chose this, I could quit. So I quit. Did my civilian employer have a legal right to pressure me for my medical records under these circumstances?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will, full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The cohabitant/co-worker later told me that the employer never followed their termination process procedures, that I should have been given 'exit papers", which I did not, and that I was blacklisted from working at any other location of this employer again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Did my civilian employer have a legal right to pressure me for my medical records under these circumstances?

Response 1: No.

The cohabitant/co-worker later told me that the employer never followed their termination process procedures, that I should have been given 'exit papers", which I did not, and that I was blacklisted from working at any other location of this employer again.

Response 2: You were not terminated. You quit. So, termination procedures would not be appropriate. Nevertheless, since you were forced to quit over the disclosure of your medical records, you may apply for unemployment compensation and see if your application would be approved.

Best wishes,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law