Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I applied for a job at our local hospital, was interviewed

Customer Question

I applied for a job at our local hospital, was interviewed and offered the position. Compensation was negotiated and the HR rep had to discuss the terms of the benefits package with her manager ( additional vacation time). I accepted the job and I was quoted a salary amount, given a start date and scheduled for a employee physical. Later that day the HR rep called me back and said that she had made a mistake and said that the hourly rate was actually $5.00/hr less than she had quoted in our earlier conversation when I accepted the position. I told them I was not interested in the position if it was $5.00 less per hr than was originally quoted. My question is Can they do that once they offered and I accepted? Are they bound to the original agreement?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. Unfortunately, yes, an offer can be changed or withdrawn even when it has been agreed to. An employment offer is not an employment contract. An employment contract differs in that it not only has a start date but also an end date. And while a contract can not be changed once it is signed, an offer may.

I wish it was better news for you.