Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

On July 27, 2016 I was called into a meeting with H.R. to

Customer Question

On July 27, 2016 I was called into a meeting with H.R. to answer to an anonymous complaint about my behavior. I was told to sign a paper stating that if it happens again I will be terminated. August 12, 2016 I was called into another meeting with H.R and was notified that another anonymous complaint has been file, and that i was being terminated. I asked if we could simply let me retire from my position and at that time I was told that, that option was not possible. I am a Professional, and have worked for the city of Atlanta for over nine years, and my annual employee evaluations have been exemplory. Monday I went and registered for unemployment. This evening, 17 August 2016 at 4:00pm I was called at my home by the same H.R. person that fired me. He wanted to know if i was still interested in resigning and retiring in lieu of being fired. I am not sure if i should accept their offer to resign. What legal options based this situation i'm in?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question, however, I am unclear on what you mean by "legal options based on the situation," can you be more specific about what you are thinking and concerned about? Also, were you an "at will" employee or does the City have stepped discipline policies, and did they follow them in your situation?