How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am preparing to file a Declaratory Judgment case against a

Customer Question

I am preparing to file a Declaratory Judgment case against a former employer seeking determination whether the funds received in a settlement agreement were "deferred compensation" under SSA rules. At the same time I want to file to enjoin the SSA from reducing retirement benefits currently being paid during the pendency of the case. I presume the proper party is Carolyn Colvin as Commissioner of the SSA. The questions are: Where do I serve the Administration and are there any special or specific pleading requirements to maintain payment of current benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The “Commissioner of Social Security” is the only proper defendant in civil actions filed against the Social Security Administration under §205(g) of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. §405(g). Delivering a copy of the legal documents filed with the court to the party designated to receive service on behalf of the defendant perfects Service of Process. Please see this link for details.

See also this link that verifies that C. Colvin is the Commissioner of the SSA.

At this link is the rule that permits you to plead for and seek a preliminary injunction to make sure that current benefits continue. A preliminary injunction is a court order made in the early stages of a lawsuit which prohibits the parties from doing an act in order to preserve the status quo until a pending ruling or outcome.

Here is a sample motion for PI that you can use as a go-by.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.