How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117412
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a settlement agreement with former employer (school

Customer Question

I have a settlement agreement with former employer (school district). As part of the settlement I signed a waive and release. The district breached the settlement agreement by giving me a negative reference to another school district that I applied to. The settlement agreement states that I am to get a neutral reference. Can I file suit against the district for breaching the contract?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if they have breached the settlement agreement, this is a breach of contract and while you may have waived rights to sue for other reasons, you have a right to sue for breach of the settlement agreement and you would be entitled to recover damages plus attorneys fees from that breach. So at this point you need to hire a local attorney and you need to sue them if you did not get the job as well as for attorneys fees.