Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I'am a member of 32bj union and wanted to take summer

Customer Question
vacation fri july 1 st...
I'am a member of 32bj union and wanted to take summer vacation fri july 1 st to Monday july 11th. I filled out vacation request form and it was approved. my days off are sat and sun.
july 4 falls during my vacation period which is Monday and my usual day to work . its one of our paid holidays .
according to out contract its says that "regular days and holidays falling during the vacation period shall not be counted ". if a contract holliday falls during the employee's vacation period the employee shall receive an additional days pay.
then I noticed that they had taken six vacation instead of five. I was paid for the day.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/11/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

what outcome are you seeking at this point and what may I answer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
need to know if I have to work on holidays that are on my shift there is no point in getting holidays if I must work on them also why was six days vacation taken when the union contract says that they shoulnt be counted

Your union contract would cover holidays. You want to see that for definitive answer, specific to your employ. Normally, employer can require holiday work but has to compensate at additional rate. The union though may have negotiated certain days and terms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why are you giving me a general answer are you not familer with 32bj rules

I will opt out since I do not have the specific contracts and perhaps someone else has that information available.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, the 36BJ contract states quite clearly if an employee is on vacation during a period when there is a holiday, they receive an extra day off with pay. So, this is a matter of filing a union grievance if you are not given an extra day off with pay since the vacation period included a contractual holiday. So according to the contract, you should not have to work the holiday to get paid, you should receive an extra day off with pay.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney