How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court case regarding my last check. i need to know

Customer Question

i have a court case regarding my last check. i need to know how much i was paid. lost the check. is it legal for them to withhold that information from me?im in NC
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

If you have an active civil case you can get information from other parties by using the "civil discovery" process.

So you can issue "requests for production" (ask them for copies of your payment records/payment information)

"interrogatories" (ask them to answer questions you have)

"requests for admission" (ask them to answer yes or no questions)

You can usually find samples of these discovery tools in your local law library. Ask your law librarian for the resources available to them - but usually these will consist of "practice guides" (Handbooks used by attorneys to help facilitate faster and more efficient use of our time), "pleading guides" (sample motions, pleadings, and discovery documents that you can modify to match the facts of your case); and other resources that can help.