How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 61 years old recently I accepted a job at a local food

Customer Question

I am 61 years old
recently I accepted a job at a local food service establishment. I had met with the owner, who was in need of a more mature worker to try and teach the kids he had working, how to work.
This was a full time position and as soon as I learned the menu, etc, I would be put in charge of a shift and see how it went from there.
after that a new general manager was hired who proceeded to replace nearly all of the workers with "her people"..I was one of 4 workers who were not let go. My full time position became a part time (about 18 hours a week). I had left a full time position to take this job in the first place. I was then terminated for "being too slow" I later found out that the individual who terminated me did not have the authority to do so. I was offered reinstatement, but was told that I would not receive any more hours or training until the newer employees were trained. All of the replacement workers were much younger than I am. I elected not to continue employment there, as I felt I was being discriminated against because of my age.
that has never been an issue for me before and I don't really know if I have a case, and if it is worth pursuing or not
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you believe that you were discriminated against because of your age, then you would have the basis for an age discrimination claim against the employer. In order to pursue this, you could file a discrimination claim with your state's EEOC. Here's a link to the EEOC site:

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you decide to file a claim with the EEOC, it will attempt to resolve/settle the claim with the employer.....and if that doesn't occur, you can receive a "right to sue" letter from the EEOC, which means that there are grounds to pursue a claim in federal district court for the alleged discrimination.