Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

A friend is a manager at a retail store and is transgender

Customer Question

a friend is a manager at a retail store and is transgender her bosses husband cousin went in to the workplace can her boss be held responsible for any degrading thing said
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

So just to be clear, it was the bosses relative who came in and made some type of crude comments to your friend?

.

Did the boss direct the person to do so?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is what she wrote me "according to my bosses cousin I'm an "it" and doesn't know why employees work under me knowing how I am"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have know idea if they did or not but she said "It just recently started right after everything was done with HR"

Ok, I hate to say it, but if the boss didn't play a part in this harassment or direct the person to engage in this behavior, then they can't be held accountable for the person's insulting and ignorant comments to the employee. If this continues, the employee could file a harassment complaint against the person and seek a restraining order for them to have no contact.

.

But you can only hold the person responsible who has engaged in this type of offensive behavior..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks