How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received disability for a year. I went back to work

Customer Question

I received disability for a year. I went back to work because I was told that nobody gets disability their first time. It was either starve or work. I was very ill at the time and barely functioning. I then received a letter stating that I was overpayed 22,000$. I did a waiver, then an appeal, I brought in documentation to show low income. They denied everything and we agreed to a payment of 100$/month till I pay everything off. I want to go in front of a judge and plead my case. Can I still do that? Do I need a lawyer. Even though I worked I only made 18,000$ that year and I'm still struggling with my illness.I work PRN( on call). I cannot hold a full time job and I just needed assistance to get back on my feet. Is there anything I can do at this point?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you already reached an agreement in settlement, it is too late to go back to a judge and plead your case Also, only the director has the power to waive over payment, so a judge cannot disturb that decision unless it was against the law. The only thing you can consider perhaps is filing bankruptcy as the debt could be discharged in bankruptcy depending on your financial situation.