How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20289
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was fired this morning from my job as a surveyor by a

Customer Question

I was fired this morning from my job as a surveyor by a major construction company in Oklahoma. A few weeks ago I made an error in moving an elevation benchmark that resulted in a major cost on one of our bridges. I am the only woman out of five surveyors the company has on staff. And we have all made mistakes on the job. There was no warning from the company that this was coming. I have worked for them for eight years. This costs me my 401k, insurance, and a salaried job of over 50k. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. First, it is important to note that, Oklahoma, like most states, is an employment "at will" state. That means that an employer may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless doing so would violate a contract or is motivated by the employee's race, national origin, gender, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy, or military service. So, unless there is evidence that your situation falls into one of the exceptions I mentioned, you would not have legal recourse for your termination.

You have indirectly implied that because you are a women you were terminated when others have not been for the same or similar errors. You can certainly file a complaint with the EEOC if you feel that way and let them investigate the allegations and try to resolve them, but they will have to find something more than the fact that you are a woman since there was apparently a significant error in your work. In other words, they will have to discover either a pattern of treating women more adversely or direct statements about female employees that would indicate that women are being treated, as a pattern, more adversely at this Company in order for them to find discrimination. Or, they would have to find that exact same error committed by a male colleague with the same experience and tenure as you who was not terminated. But again, you can file a complaint and see where it goes.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 8th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.

Related Employment Law Questions