How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116757
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed an employment offer in 2009 to work in a specific

Customer Question

I signed an employment offer in 2009 to work in a specific area providing anesthesia. Now, I will be required to rotate through other areas of the hospital. Can my employer do this?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, unless you had a contract that said your employment was restricted to that area, your employment is at will, which means that the employer can seek to move you as needed. An employment offer is not a contract for a term, it is an offer of a job and it is an at will employment offer. So if the employer can show they need you elsewhere, as an at will employee you have to go. An offer of employment from 2009 is not a contract, it is an offer, because it does not have an end date on the document it is an open ended offer. So unless that document were a contract for a period of time, the employer has a right to direct where they need you as an at will employee.