How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12913
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if I feel I am being harassed by a superior

Customer Question

What can I do if I feel I am being harassed by a superior supervisor? I got falsely accused for something that was said and now I feel pressured to quit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about the false accusation. Are you in a union? Why do you feel that you need to quit? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not in a union i am a supervisor at the company as well. The supervisor that is making false accusations is in a higher position than me. I had mentioned that I would put my two weeks notice just because I didn't feel comfortable. He called me the day after asking me if I had sent my notice via email because he had already spoken with HR.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The most important thing to do is clarify the false allegations with HR. Beyond this, there unfortunately isn't much you can do as employees have no legal right to not be accused of things. In theory, you could threaten a defamation suit, but such threat would not be "legally protected," meaning your supervisor could terminate you in retaliation for you threatening to sue them, assuming they have termination authority.

Generally, it is unwise to quit as quitting will usually result in the denial of unemployment benefits. If you want to leave the job because you are no longer comfortable there, the better course of action is to look for new work while you are are still employed and then quit once you've secured an offer. It's generally easier to find work when you are already employed, and this way you also won't have to explain any gap on your resume.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.