Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a biomedical engineer, age 67. I have 45 years in the

Customer Question
profession. When I joined my present...
I am a biomedical engineer, age 67. I have 45 years in the profession.
When I joined my present company 3.5 years ago I was permitted to maintain my medical research company, an LLC-this was placed in my employment agreement. Now some 3.5 years later I'm now told that the existence of my company is a 'conflict of interest' and I need to abandon the company immediately or face 'termination for cause' aka conflict of interest. I have terminated my company at a personal loss of 7 years of work and $ 100K in funds. I am still being threatened with termination.
Do I have any action against the company if they fire me since Washington state is an 'at will employment' state ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My immediate boss during 1:1, privately and verbally abused me by insults, ultimatiums, and threats. Since this was in a private room and 1:1 and verbally, there is no record except my own email to myself describing these events.
HR at my company protects the managers so going to them is a waste of time. I would be willing to subject myself to a polygraph if my boss would be willing to do the same to demonstrate what he said to me in spite of what he says..the polygraph hopefully would demonstrate whose lying and whose telling the truth...I suspect that this is still not permitted in a court of law....so while what they ahve done is certainly immoral, unethical, etc. its propbalby not illegal.
8/5/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Even the Washington State is a at will state since you have an employment contract they can only fire you for cause. Here I think you would have a strong claim for breach of contract since they agreed to allow you to continue your LLC

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have an employment contract. The agreement relating to my employment non compete and ip agreement was a variance to the standard non compete agreement. Their claim Stryker corporation which has now purchased the company I am working for claims that the variance is considered by them to represent a conflict going into the future. What I was told verbally was that if I didn't terminate my LLC that they would come up with a reason to terminate me for cause that my LLC and me were becoming a Pain in the Ass for the mangers and the Company
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I want is the abuse threats and ultimatums to stop. I do not have really any recourse in this case it seems to since verbal abuse is not illegal in the work place
I understand. Haps you can have an attorney intervene on your behalf and ask for the harassment to stop. I still recommend notifying HR in writing so that you are protected if there's future litigation. Their failure to address the harassment or their retaliation against you then would create a strong legal claim.
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer