Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Ray, I'm back with another employment question. I started

Customer Question

Hi Ray,
I'm back with another employment question. I started preparing my complaint to the EEOC regarding possible marital status, gender, disability, harrassment, and retaliation discrimination from my previous employer. I am getting conflicting information regarding whether this complaint will protect me from further trouble from my former employer. They have already reported me to the State Board of Nursing at the time of my termination, and I now have a disciplinary action on my nursing license that is indefinite. I was planning on making their complaint to the Board part of my retaliation and harassment complaint to the EEOC, but apparently, that won't stop them from reporting me to the Board again and I might be just "stirring the pot". This organization has extensive history of discriminatory practices against other employees when employees became disliked and were targeted, I have mentioned many names of other employees who have been targeted, and smokescreen practices used as in my case. The only problem is that, in my case, I actually did make mistakes that were reportable to the Board, and that worked for them. Will it really protect me against more complaints to the Board and other retaliatory practices by my former employer if I report to the EEOC? Also, I am doing a reference check to look for blacklisting and possibly send a cease and desist letter, do you think this will help or hurt me in the long run? I don't want to create a huge storm, but I have never in my whole life witnessed an employer that treats employees so horribly, so I am crying out for justice to be served. Let me know if you think I am safe to proceed beyond unemployment hearings. Even just in the unemployment hearings I am presenting evidence that my former boss has lied under oath during hearings, and I am deathly afraid of further retaliation, knowing their attempts to destroy my career already. My license protection lawyer says their is no statute on complaints to the Board, they could report me for anything at any time and the Board is obligated to investigate.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome back to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

This will not totally protect you from a professional licensure complaint but it doesn't hurt to claim discrimination with EEOC here to cloud it.Checking for blacklisting is a good idea, if they are doing then the a cease and desist is the next step and a suit for defamation is also a possibility.I think overall you have the right ideas to try to deal with all of this.

The board has duty to investigate licensure complaints here, separate from employment and EEOC issues.So you may have to defend against any administrative actions against your license.Again you have remedy of defamation here through the courts for damage to your reputation.

I appreciate the chance to help you again.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

Thanks again.