How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12945
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an electrician I have worked for my employer for 6+

Customer Question

I am an electrician I have worked for my employer for 6+ years 1 and a hafe year ago I took another job for a 4 month period and came back to my former employer and have worked 40 + hires every week I carry on my personal truck his tools. Here recently my employer has cut me to just a few days even though we have plenty of work trying to get rid of me without fireing me is this legal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about reducing an employee's schedule in order to induce them to quit. This is not illegal because employment is "at will" in Alabama absent an agreement to the contrary and as such can be simply terminated at any time. Since your employer can fire you, there is nothing unlawful about them changing the terms of your employment to get you to quit instead.

The above noted, if you are an employee (you receive a W2), you might be eligible for unemployment benefits if you can prove that you quit due to a substantial reduction in your hours. However, the reduction would have to be so large that no reasonable person would have chosen to remain employed. Given the risk you would be taking that your claim for benefits will be denied, it is usually better to just look for alternative work while still employed and only quit once you've secured another job.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


Can you please let me know if you are getting my messages? This question is still open and I have not heard back from you. If there is anything more I can do to help you, please let me know.....