How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a public sector(government employees) workers

Customer Question

This is a public sector(government employees) workers compensation case in the District of Columbia. It was complicated and took a long time. I prevailed at the Administrative hearing and the Administrative Law Judge awarded my client not in dollars but stated that he was to receive workers compensation benefits retroactively from when he was denied. This comes to about $60,000. And he also awarded my client future and continuing workers compensation. The regulations state that I had to submit a petition for attorney fees within thirty days after the date of the compensation order. The government opposed my petition mainly because it was late filed. This was the first case I ever had concerning this issue so my timing was off, according to the opposition I should have filed within 30 days which would not include the time they had to appeal the case. I can send you my petition and their response. Perhaps you can frame an argument for me.Also on a separate issue regarding the same act and regulations I see no cases or regs that an attorney and employee (this is the public sector) can not enter into a fee agreement independent of the determination of a case. Could you check this out because that is what I intend to include in my fee agreements for these Public Sector Workers Compensation cases. I will site a low hourly rate or in the alternative what the Administrative Judge awards if it is greater. Do you want me to send you the documents? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The regulations involved are DC Code 1-623.01 et seq, S.C. Code 1-623.27(b)2 and 7DCMR 132.1 AND 130.12. For what its worth the ALJ likes me and was not very impressed with the presentation of opposing counsel.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You know I cannot write your argument for you, but I can look it over and see if there may be something you missed. You would need to upload the document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way I won that summary judgment thanks for your help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear. It is always nice to hear we do help.