Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I left a job I was at for 15 years in retail management to

Customer Question
come work as a Human...
I left a job I was at for 15 years in retail management to come work as a Human Resources Coordinator/materials Procurement at an engineering Firm. I have been here since the last week in May under a 90 day probationary period. I made it clear I know nothing about Engineering and also nothing about Materials procurement and was told not to worry that I would be trained. From day 1 I received 0 training except here sit there, here's a list of items, order it. Any question i asked was left unanswered and the direction I was given was basically "you can figure it out." I have unanswered email after unanswered email requesting information, one in particular directly asks for a job description and that was never answered. I have detailed notes about a sit down I requested with the vice president asking what my job is, what are the expectations, what can I improve on. I got no answers except, you'll have to ask Mary (Mary is the V.P.s wife and was out with knee surgery since day one, although she was the one who hired me.) Last week Mary came in and the first thing she says to me is "You are not doing your job correctly." When I tried to rebut she cut me off and told me I was lying. I would like to know my legal rights here if I were to quit, could I collect unemployment? Could I pursue legal actions? I have detailed time cards I have to submit weekly (even though i am salary) that traces every single half hour of my work day. It states on it multiple times when I reached out for help. It would appear they are completely taking away the HR coordinator job and making me strictly materials procurement. i never would have taken this position and never would have left steady employment for this position if it were strictly materials. I am in Massachusetts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
8/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Good morning, Legally, if you left normally you cannot file for benefits. However, where you are subject to a hostile environment you can.

Likewise, if they materially change your pay, dont pay your hours, or otherwise materially change working conditions.

You may also separately seek to use their breach to negotiate an out of court settlement negotiated by local employment counsel - which company will often do to avoid risk and costs of a lawsuit or labor board investigation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no legal rights to a company bringing me on board in to a position I know nothing about, them giving me no training, and then disciplining me for not knowing what I'm doing? i am stuck with this company unless they choose to fire me?

It is an employment at will. You can seek to negotiate a severance, file for unemployment, negotiate improved terms, but absent some discrimination in their doing so, their poor judgment in handling your position is not in itself illegal. You still have rights as I mentioned, but their conduct is not in itself against the law, just not very wise.

Kindly rate the answer positively, tried to expedite for you, thank you.

thank you in advance.

Infolawyer, Lawyer