How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116816
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a nonprofit organization that is governed by a

Customer Question

Hello. I work for a nonprofit organization that is governed by a board of commissioners who are in turn, elected by representatives of institutional members. One of these member representatives has harassed me and other staff, is disruptive at events, and has made claims in his home country that he has bribed our management. He has volunteered to sit on a committee that I staff. I communicated to management the reasons that he should not have this role, and they are not willing to either exclude him for the committee or speak to him about his actions. If I quit, am I eligible for unemployment? Conversely, if I speak up again (in a polite, but emphatic way) and I get fired, would that be wrongful termination? Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you quit for this reason, it is not legally considered good cause and you can be denied unemployment. So, no you should not quit. If his sole purpose of his conduct is based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then you can file a complaint to the EEOC against the employer and they can grant you a right to sue. Otherwise, you do not have legal recourse and it would not be wrongful termination if they terminate you.
You need to just act professional and if you are terminated for no cause, that is the only way you will collect unemployment from them.