Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

We had a video conference call for the entire company staff.

Customer Question

We had a video conference call for the entire company staff. Many employees work remotely. The COO asked all employees questions about their families. Name of spouses, children's names, how long they were married, etc. Is this legal?
The same COO, when he came aboard a year ago, sent an email asking our financial goals, spiritual goals, etc. I politely answered that they were private and personal.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is not legal to ask about name of spouses and family status. Furthermore, the company cannot use that information as basis for discrimination against the employee later on since this may fall under family status discrimination - see HERE.

Financial goals are allowed. Spiritual goals are not if the question is based in a way to ask you about your religion. However, the company can ask if it does so to accommodate one's religious beliefs or practices in regards ***** ***** such as dress and grooming policy and flexible scheduling.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.