How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37697
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on disability currently. However, I wanted to check

Customer Question

I am on disability currently. However, I wanted to check into the ticket to work program. I cannot work full-time by any means. However, I need to pay some medical bills. If I do the program and stay under the nine month period of time, will it have an affect on my student loan? Because my student loan was dismissed because of my disability. Would my working at all under the nine months release my student loan and would I have to pay it back because I needed to work for a bit? Thank you, Catherine **** ***@******.***
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon Catherine,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The fact that your student loan was forgiven based on your disability will not prevent you from participation in the ticket for work program (which really is just a program that brings employers and disabled persons together), nor will trying to work part time resurrect your student loan that has already been forgiven.

While you are receiving SSDI you are eligible to try going back to work.

And yes, you may certainly work without jeopardizing your present social security disability benefits. However, there are income limitations as well as a limitation on the amount of time you may work above a given wage.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9separate months where you may earn as much as you want. Any month in which you earn less than the $810 threshold it does not count toward the nine month limit. These 9 months are not consecutive, but may occur anytime within a 5year period while you are disabled and qualified for SSDI.

After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $810, you will be subject to re-evaluation by social security to determine whether you are still disabled.

So as long as you earn less than $810 per month, you will never jeopardize your SSDI benefits. Just keep in mind that in any 60 month period, if you earn above that $810 level more than 9 times, you will be re-evaluated and you could lose your SSDI benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Employment Law Questions