Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am in the process of a messy divorce and my ex husband and

Customer Question
his family will not leave...
I am in the process of a messy divorce and my ex husband and his family will not leave me alone. I was placed on paid administrative leave two weeks ago because my ex husband and his family took an affidavit into the manager I work with that wrote the affidavit for me for an interim order hearing 7 almost 8 months ago. The manager is stating its not the affidavit he submitted to me and contacted our corporate human resources department and told them the situation therefore I am on paid leave while the company checks my integrity. Initially human resources was going to look through my work computer to try and find this affidavit which the manager notarized and it wasn't used in court because he couldn't be there to testify. But now they have changed their story and said they are checking my integrity due to the complaint. My boss told the human resources department that there has been four calls prior to this incident from my ex husbands family making complaints about me at work which majority of those complaints went through the manager that called corporate on me. My boss told me about the complaints and we laughed about them My ex husbands family is considered to be customers at my job. I am wondering if I should start looking for a new job or if they even had a reason to put me on leave given it was a personal matter. I feel like I am being picked on and my ex husband and his family purposely go to this manager because he is weak and the nice guy who gets scared easy.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Dakota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My divorce lawyer he just told me to keep him posted on if I get fired or not. I have kids and myself to support I have been with this company a little over a year and never had a complaint until this
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/27/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You can certainly start looking for another job now. Unfortunately, since employment in CA is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary, you could legally be terminated based on these sorts of complaints. It's unfair, but "at will" employment means that employers don't need a fair or even true reason to let you go.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer