How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There are changes in my organization and I been supporting

Customer Question

There are changes in my organization and I been supporting my Sr. Director and VP for a while. I started in Oncology Biostat for about 10 years and now the re-org of Administrative support. I am a Management Associate in this group and been there for long time. Is it legal for me to have been supported the VP now and same person with a break in between for about 7 years and now he just told me that he will be supported by a supervisor due to organization change? To me this is a demotion. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless you have a written contract to the contrary, your employment is deemed to be at will and you have no legal rights in your employment assignment. The at will employee may be reassigned or have new duties added or duties removed or be promoted or demoted at the will of the employer as long as the actions are not based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. So, unless they are doing this for one of those reasons only, I am afraid as an at will employee you would have no legal recourse except to do what the employer is asking you to do.