RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I was working company I was the staff accountant and had 3

Customer Question

I was working for a company I was the staff accountant and had 3 people working under me that I managed. During the transition we each signed a contract and was given a stay bonus the 2 girls working under me received 3 times as much as me. Is there a case here.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I look forward to helping you today.

Boy, have I been in your shoes before -with something very similar happening to me at a firm I once worked for. There is unfortunately no law, state or federal, that says an employer has to give everyone the same bonus amount. It truly is a discretionary matter left to the employer.

That said, there could potentially be a case if the employer discriminated against you in deciding the bonus amount and you could actually prove that. In other words, if you were given a smaller bonus because of your race, religion, age (over 40), sex, disability or national origin --- or a combination of these factors, which are all "protected classes" under the law, then you may have a discrimination claim against the employer.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist.Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and information today. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please use the SEND or REPLY button, I'm here to help!

Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and information today. Thank you!