How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19492
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband worked up until Dec 2015. Asked s boss if he

Customer Question

My husband worked up until Dec 2015. Asked his boss if he could claim unemployment. Was told "no we don't do that" . After several weeks of no work he asked again and came away with the feeling if he persued with UC he would not be called back. He is very vulnerable at this stage of his life, almost 67. He also has a history of severe depression, on many medications which also leaves him very vulnerable. He did apply for several jobs from February til present. He is starting a new job this week. We called unemployment to see why his previous job told him "they don't do this". UC told us that this was a false statement, we tried to collect back compensation but was done ed. We will file an appeal. I can't speak to UC for my husband to explain how he wastaken advantage. They will not allow me. Plea see advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Yes the money here has to be paid to the trustee for distribution to the creditors.Otherwise you risk being discharged and bankruptcy fraud.Any income has to be reported to the trustee.It would reduce your debts and may lower your monthly payments.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to you.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry this was a site error and a mis post.Please stand by and others will pick this up.Please don't reply or rate, thanks.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to read that your husband was taken advantage of. The information he was given by his previous employer is false and quite fraudulent. Unfortunately, if he now has a job, he cannot go back and file for back benefits. Unemployment compensation is not set up for that. You can only contact unemployment if you are currently unemployed for not fault of yours. However, he can file complaint against the employer with U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division ('WHD"), to see if that agency can go after the employer for the fraud committed on your husband and to recover the amount that he would have been entitled to collect from unemployment but for the false information given to him. Click here to contact WHD.

Goodluck with your case,

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.