How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- Your Own Question
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 88
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A company that I use to work year ago has an account still

Customer Question

A company that I use to work for 2 year ago has an account still open in my name I thought this account was closed now the IRS is coming after me for failing to report this income. What can I do to my former employer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm currently working on a reply to your question and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience.

If you would prefer to speak on the phone for an additional small fee to get your question answered faster, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

These circumstances sound quite suspicious for fraud to me. I have a few quick questions for you:

1. How exactly were you contacted by the IRS regarding this supposed income that you failed to report? (did they call you, did they email you, etc)

2. When the IRS contacted you, what did they ask you to do in order to fix this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a letter from the Irs staying that I owe money for failure to report income that I didn't know I had
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't tell what to to fix this problem
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a copy of that letter available that I can look at?

If so, you can just attach it to this conversation (please scratch out any personal information such as SSN, etc)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do put I can't attached it
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

All you have to do is use the little paper clip within this chat portal and then upload it from your computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not on a computer
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Ok not a problem. I just want to verify that this is a legitimate letter from the IRS. The thing is that some scammers crate fake letters with the IRS logo in an attempt to get you to send money to them.

Were you a contract employee for this company meaning that you received a 1099-MISC at the end of the last tax year that you worked for them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I was not contract employee
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Ok so if you were a standard employee you should have received a W-2 at the end of each year during which you earned income.

  • So you never received any W-2's at the end of the past 2 years from the company?
  • And you never received any income at all (you never received the checks or direct deposits) for the income that the IRS is saying you earned during the past 2 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct I never received anything from them
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Ok and have you contacted the company to ask them why they are reporting income for you during periods of time when you were not employed with them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I just found today when I got my mail and the letter from the IRS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like answer please
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Ok well the first step for you is to contact the company's accounting/payroll department and tell them about this situation. If there are in fact wages that are due to you as a result of your employment with them such as commissions earned, bonuses or other income earned you were unaware of, you need to make sure they re-issue those checks to you.

You will need to contact your employer before you respond to the IRS because it may be a payroll error within the company where they have an active employee who is being paid but they are still filing 1099's to the IRS under your social security number. If this is the situation, the company can fix the error and then issue you a letter so you can send this to the IRS and have your case closed out.

If you are unable to resolve the situation with your company then you will have to call the IRS number on the file and dispute this situation. The good news is that by tax regulation, you DO NOT have to pay taxes on income you never received. However, you will still need to present your case to the IRS. It shouldn't be too difficult to prove that you didn't receive income, you will just have to send them a copy of your bank statement showing that there were no direct deposits from the company, no cashed checks, no deposits in the amount of your wages, etc during the tax years in question.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer.

If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any additional information or have any more questions regarding this situation?

I just want to make sure you got all the information that you needed.