Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

An employee submits an idea to s or her employer. The

Customer Question
An employee submits an idea...
An employee submits an idea to his or her employer. The employer chooses to not develop the idea or establish proof of concept. Does the employer's IP rights expire at some point and can the employee later leave the company to develop their idea? The idea utilizes off the shelf components and math to streamline a process.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/24/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

The employer has rights to the idea and development if done while employee employed. However, if employer waives right to proceed on idea, it can revert back to the employee. It is best if employee gets a release in writing, but if not, the passage of time helps. A written release is the surest protection for employee.

Kindly take a moment to click on an excellent rating.

thanks in advance.

Infolawyer, Lawyer