How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42852
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am teaching at the University and have a contract

Customer Question

I am teaching at the University and have a contract (reappointed after leave), I worked for one semester and want to resign. what the University can make to punish me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked for 3 years then went for leave outside and told them I am not coming back, then in 1/2 year I decided to return, and they agreed. Now after one semester I finally want to leave but afraid of retaliation on the side of University. I signed a contract 1/2 year ago for 2.5 years that I will teach
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am scheduled to teach from Aug 22 which makes the situation worse,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

You may want to read the contract here and see what penalties there are for early termination.Also are there any outs you could use, say a 30 day notice of termination by either party.

The contract here really sets out your rights and liabilities.If there is a contractual out--a clause that allows you to terminate here with notice you can utilize it.Otherwise you may consider approaching the university to discuss a mutual termination and release of the contract.

In most cases the university agrees to some fair resolution or mediation knowing you are unhappy with continuing the contract and seek to be released.The university may require some period of notice and transition so that students will not be harmed and you can move forward with your plans elsewhere.

I would tell you to review the contract for terms of breach or termination by you and what your obligations are.Then you can approach them and seek to resolve it on mutual agreeable terms.This is not uncommon that teachers wish to move on and terminate such a contract fairly to all.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I can do extended chat online here, I sent you the offer not yet set up for phone calls.If you rate here and accept I will chat with you online until we are done.