Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was fired from a store unfairly. I am disabled and was

Customer Question
missing work because of it...
I was fired from a store unfairly. I am disabled and was missing work because of it. They knew about my disabilities and time and time again I kept reminding them of my disabilities. We had a meeting about absences, and we were told that changes were going to be made in reguards to absences. An employee could miss 9 days in a 6 month period. The problem is that I approached the person in charge of Human Resources and asked if there was something that I could get into, like a program, because I knew I was going to miss days of work. She said yes. I filled all the questions thru the phone. I was denied because I hadn't been with the company for a year. She never told me there were other options,evev though she says that she did, but I told if the were other programs I would have asked about them and done everything to get into them. I was told about these other programs the day I was fired. I had 7.5 absences, but it hadn't been 6 months yet, but I found out that day also, that employees that were there for less than 6 months, the rule didn't apply, only for employees that have been there more than 6 mo. I reminded the Manager of the meeting and he said that he also thought it was for everyone. But the person in HR told him about the rule. I shouldn't have been fired since none of this was actually made sence. And, doesn't the Disability Act protect me against this kind of unfairness? Can someone give me advice and see if I have a case to sue the company.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer

Title VII protects disabled workers. The company must provide a reasonable accommodation to accommodate disabled workers such as yourself.. Not doing so could result in liability for emotional distress, punitive damages and financial loss. To pursue a claim, you must file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and they will perform an investigation and determine liability. Here is a link to file a claim: https://www.eeoc.gov/federal/fed_employees/filing_complaint.cfm

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer