Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am out on a medical disability. A coworker (doctor) told a

Customer Question
I am out on a...
I am out on a medical disability . A coworker (doctor) told a class of doctorate student that he got me fired. Not true. Because of my mental illness HR is treating me like I made it up. We are a health care university, and have a huge psychiatric program. It went out into the medical community. I have 25 years in this community. The school is 6 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was not fired. The doctor is spreading libelous information stating that I was fired. Did he not slander me, and also continue his harassment of me, as his harassment of me was what was caused my mental breakdown. Sorry I failed to mention that.HR advised all faculty and staff to not discuss my leave of absence AT ALL as it is a violation of HR laws. He took it upon himself to notify the students that he succeeded in getting me fired!! Which I am not. I work in optometry but the info made it into the ophthalmology community where it has affected my community where I have worked 25 years. I am trying to prove presently that he said I went crazy.Violating my HIPPA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently not thank you

Him saying he "got you fired" is a roundabout way of slandering you but it is one of the types of slander that would be extremely hard to prove that any damages were a direct result.

He did likely violate your HIPAA rights although there is no lawsuit available based on a HIPAA violation. You can file a complaint against him with the federal Dept of Health and Human Services at http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/

It is also possible that you could sue for the mental anguish that was caused by the slanderous comments but if you had already left to go on medical leave before he made the comments then you face difficulties in relating the damages to his statements.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Please ask any follow ups you have. Yours is a difficult fact situation and if you have specific questions it is easier to answer those than a general question.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer