Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Background I have worked non profit organization since 1993

Customer Question
Background I have worked for a...
Background
I have worked for a non profit organization since 1993 (I took leave of absence from May 2005 to December 2007 for health issues.) I was asked to come back to work, and I agreed to discontinue social security disability and return to work for a salary of $50,000 and the stipulation that I would only work from home.
Is this legal?
When I became eligible for Medicare in 2014, My employer dropped my health insurance. Although the organization paid for every other employee's insurance, they did not pay for/my medicare costs. I thought that was age discrimination and complained. They wouldn't budge on Medicare A and B costs. They did agree to reimburse me for Medicare Part C in April 2015.
My Wages
My pay was cut in half this year without notification due to our organization's financial problems. But no one else had to a pay cut. Is that legal?
On June 3, 2016, the president of my organization was fired and an interim president took his place. The new president has not paid my salary or Medicare Part C health insurance payments since that date. I have sent time sheets and invoices to no avail.
Accusations
I still haven't been fired or laid off; but, I have been accused in writing of holding the organization's furniture/printer/copier/cellphone/laptop/desktop, etc at home. I've also been accused of having their file cabinets containing their financial files. The accusations are absurd since I work remotely from my home on their computers. There is no way I could get hold of their furniture or equipment.
My situation
I just turned 68. I have Coronary Heart disease and Osteoarthritis. I've had open heart surgery and 2 hip replacements in the last 4 years. I get social security for $1,800 a month and that's why I am still working. I need advice.
Can I get reimbursement for Medicare payments since all other employees were covered by our company health insurance?
Should I have been the only employee to take a pay cut?
Can I get my unpaid salary from June 4 to date?
Doesn't my company have to notify me if I don't work for them anymore?
Can I make them stop accusing me of lying and stealing?
Thanks for your help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Response 1: Yes and you should file a formal request for the reimbursement.

Response 2: No, you should not have been.

Response 3: Yes, you can. Otherwise, you should file wage claim with U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.

Response 4: Yes. You must be given a notice that you have been either laid-off or fired. Otherwise, you still work for the company.

Thanks for your help

Response 4: Yes, you can. You need to give a formal notice to the company's Human Resources Department about the false accusations and demand that the accusations stop or otherwise, you file defamation suit against the company and the employees.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law