How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A company - of which I am a minority shareholder contracts

Customer Question

A company - of which I am a minority shareholder contracts with a company (the "Contracting company") which provides services to our clients. My company does not pay the Contracting Companies employees directly - but we pay the contracting company a flat fee (per client) for services-- how they compensate their employees I do not know except I believe they are paid on an hourly rate-- not sure if there are bonuses, etc.
Am I or is my entity an employer under the FSLA? can you direct me to the definition of employer under this law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

We aren't allowed to give you a legal opinion such as whether you are an employer under the FLSA. For that you need to hire a local lawyer with whom you can form an attorney client relationship.

However, I can give you the statute section that provides the definition of employer if that is sufficient.