How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hrpro37 Your Own Question
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 119
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
hrpro37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am out of work few weeks, because of a medical

Customer Question

If I am out of work for a few weeks, because of a medical procedure do to an injury. What is the difference if I put in a claim with workers comp or my personnel medical insurance? How will it effect recouping my lost wages? I expect to be out of work for about 2 weeks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Neither Worker's Compensation or personal medical insurance will have any effect on you obtaining lost wages. The main difference is that worker's compensation is in place to pay your medical bills if you got injured at work. If you utilize your private insurance, you would be responsible for any out of pocket costs (deductible, co-pay, etc..) and with worker's compensation all payments would be taken care of by the company.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions if needed and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your question (it doesn't cost anything additional to rate me!)

Thank you,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
What about my lost wages? How do I recoup them and how does work comp claim effect the amount opposed to using my own medical insurance for the medicl procedure?
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.

You can not recoup lost wages through your private insurance or worker's compensation (neither of them will affect lost wages in any way). If the accident was due to your companies negligence, you can sue for lost wages if you choose to. However, if you just have an injury that occurred by accident at work, you most likely will not be able to recoup lost wages and would have to use any paid time off you may have.