How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After I quit working insurance company that had been paying

Customer Question

after I quit working for an insurance company that had been paying for my errors and omissions insurance, (although at double the rate I was able to find later) I was contacted by a collection attorney for the entire amount they had paid since I hadn't earned enough commission to offset the premiums. Can they do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was your agreement with them that you had to pay your E/O insurance from your commissions? Was that in some written contract with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or possibly opt out and pay it myself directly. I might have the contract and the billing statements in electronic format if you need to review them. There may be certain stipulations regarding charges depending on the reasons for termination. Also, if I'm still licensed, could they not pay themselves out of residual commissions over time?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You have to review the contract you had with the employer itself to see what your terms and conditions of employment were. If your contract agreed to pay your insurance then you need to see what it says about the terms.

Related Employment Law Questions