Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked at Gold Coast Holdings TGIFridays as a manager. I

Customer Question
recently gave my 3 weeks...
I worked at Gold Coast Holdings TGIFridays as a manager. I recently gave my 3 weeks notice and moved on to a new position with a new company ( Outback Steakhouse .) Durring my last week there a fellow manager sent a e-mail to the district manager stating that I was recruiting employees to go to the new job. I was not and nothing became of the accusation. I was sitting at TGIFRidays bar having a drink and now a regular customer just visiting and relaxing after work from my new job and the same manager Joe came up to me in front of everyone, guests and employees and stated get the f--- out and don't come in here and recruit people. I was not doing that. I sent an e-mail to the district manager Paul about the incident and called him. He said" I will look into this and it wasn't right. I was going to forget about it and move on and then the next day I received a TEXT message from JOE stating that he spoke with Karen ( the GM ) and that I was not allowed in the establishment or they would call the police? Now I am very shocked and concerned because I have done nothing to warrant these actions. I then called and e-mailed the district manager Paul again and asked him to stop Joe from texting me and why the police would be called if I came in as a guest. I received no response? I am working training at my new job and guests that were regulars at Fridays up the street now followed me to Outback and told me that everyone there including Joe is laughing and telling everyone about Joe telling me to get the F--- out and spreading unprofessional rumor. I have done nothing to deserve this and now the news spreading is known at my new job along with painting an untrue picture of what took place. I have not returned to Fridays, even though I left on great terms and was told I may return for rehire if I so wished. I believe TGIFridays Gold Coast Holdings must stand behind Joe for the treatment and character declarations made against me. Paul the DM nor anyone has made contact with me to correct any actions by these managers. Do I have recourse? I have a strong and reputable reputation in this business and do not deserve this type of issue. Harry VandeVort
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/13/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, these businesses have a right to prohibit anyone from coming onto their premises for any reason at all except based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and when they do so a person has no recourse other than to leave and not return.

If Joe is making known false statements about you to others, then this is grounds to sue Joe for harassment and defamation for his known false statements and you would have to prove the monetary damages you have suffered as a direct result of his known false statements.

You can seek to sue for the harassment and defamation, but legally they can still prevent you from going onto the premises, that is their right as a business as long as they are not discriminating based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and in your case they are doing it because you are a former employee and they have some problem with you leaving evidently.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gold coast Holdings has not told me I can not return this statement came from an employee of them. I do not think they are aware and they are allowed to swear and demean a guest? without accountability?
Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the delay, I was tied up in a client negotiation and could not get back online.
I am sorry to say that an employee of the business can tell any customer they cannot come onto the premises and legally that is permissible as long as the sole reason for barring you is not your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. Also, swearing and demeaning a customer is not illegal or against any statutes that would allow a lawsuit against them.
I am afraid your recourse is still as I previously explained, if Joe is making known false statements against you, then you can sue Joe for defamation.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney