Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Can a mutual or general release be broken under law?

Customer Question

Can a mutual or general release be broken under virginia law?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

A release is a contract and, just as any other contract, it may be breached by one or both parties. So, if there is a failure of consideration or a failure to perform some other obligation in the release, the release may be vulnerable to being set aside.

While courts will not, generally, get involved in the fairness of the terms, if there was fraud in the inducement then, likewise, the release may be set aside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not an employment matter. it is a business contract matter. It concerns the amending an ADA agreem
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification. That would not affect my answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.