Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I'm currantly on sick leave from my employer non work

Customer Question

I'm currantly on sick leave from my employer for a non work related back injury that required surgery. Estamated time off work 8-12 weeks due to the nature of the injury and my job requirements. My employer is now threatening to withhold sick leave pay and not give me my job back if I do not sign a HIPAA release form. They want permission from me so that not only the company medical staff can evaluate my condition but "any third party health care consultants" they deem appropriate can review them as well. My immediate supervisor and my local HR rep.both had to sign off on my back condition so I could start the sick leave process. Where in hell to I stand on this legally? What are my rights and can I be threaten in this manner??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you on FMLA leave?

Doug