Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

My wife had an er visit and 5 day stay we unknowingly were

Customer Question

My wife had an er visit and 5 day stay we unknowingly were out of network our ins. Only paid less than half if my appeal to anthem is denied and a complaint to Ohio bd. Of ins. Fails is there anything else I can do? Bankruptcy or a lawyer or just refuse to pay?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, there are few options for medical debt. If this was outside your insurance network, then the hospital can demand payment later on. However, negotiation is recommended. One can offer to make payments piecemeal, or for a lesser amount, or both. Leverage such as stating that you are close to "bankruptcy" helps. Hospitals normally are happy to be paid even a portion of the outstanding debt, so negotiation is key.

If an agreement is struck, please remember that it must be in writing to be binding.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!