Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I've recently been off as GM of a factory after accepting a

Customer Question
I've recently been laid off...
I've recently been laid off as GM of a factory after accepting a position to help turn it around in August of 2015. I was told in December that I needed to shut the operation down and this action cost our company $300M in annual revenue ($100M directly and $200M indirectly) as well as $15M in lost profit in year one alone through paying rent without recovery and making one-time charge payments for severance and other site shutdown costs. I'm 54 and am based in Texas while running the site in North Carolina. I didn't have time to turn things around obviously.
My performance in the position before this as VP of Global Account Management was outstanding financially and operationally as I was able to win $150M in new business while improving operations scorecards as measured by the customer from the low 70s to best in class results in the mid to high 90s. That assignment ended when the customer decided to eliminate one of their four EMS suppliers and chose to remove us, given our uncompetitive price position and vulnerability given our lack of presence in five of their six verticals.
Not sure it's worth pursuing, but I wanted to check into my options before signing a separation agreement and collecting severance of 14 weeks. The company is Flex, a $24B global company. My employment contract is at-will, but my termination without trying to find alternatives for me seems problematic for Flex.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

given employment at will and the severance being offered, any move you make could put the severance at risk.

I do not suggest pursuing a case unless there is clear proof of discrimination. Instead, you may wish to have counsel locally try to negotiate a larger severance, without risking the current offer.

Kindly take a moment to click on an excellent rating.

Infolawyer, Lawyer